Dynamics GP and Dynamics 365… What is the change?
Why is this an improvement?
Foundation — foundationally, Dynamics GP is an older technology utilizing Microsoft SQL Server databases, Windows Client Technology, written in Dexterity and utilizing technology written many years ago. Some of this technology was written when you (the reader) were just a child!
New Foundation — Dynamics 365 is built upon Microsoft Dynamics NAV in the Microsoft Azure Cloud with a Modern User Interface. This foundational change builds upon the decades of legacy Dynamics NAV functionality and wins with Web Client technology as a robust user interface. Unlike Dynamics GP, the technology has evolved and kept up with the technology demands of the market.
Management and Maintainability — unlike putting Dynamics GP in a hosted environment, Dynamics 365 is built in a fully managed Azure instance which means that you never worry about backups, business continuity or downtime.
Functional Differences — Naturally, there are differences in the application such as:
- Role based functionality tied to security — although available in Dynamics GP, this has never been implemented quite functionally for customers. In Dynamics 365, this is inherent within the solution, out of the box. However, for the NAV sophisticates out there, you can switch to the non-role based environments!
- Chart of Accounts — come across as Chart of Accounts in Dynamics 365
- Segmentation becomes Dimensions which augments the functionality you are currently used to in Dynamics GP. Further, Dimensions can be used significantly more in PowerBI and Microsoft Flow.
- Master Data (Vendors, Customers, Items, etc.) these become the same basic structures in Dynamics 365.
- Reporting — no more Management Reporter! The Modern Solutions are to utilize Account Schedules in Dynamics 365 and also leverage Jet Reports (from Jet Global) or PowerBI for reporting and analytics. PowerBI is integrated throughout.
- Data Migration — out of the gate, we have proven tools and methodologies to bring across Master Data and Open Balances. We continue to build out more sophisticated data models to provide you with a solution that when leveraging Microsoft’s PowerBI, Artificial Intelligence and Flow, you can more fully take advantage of the data.
- Services — this is where it gets real exciting. Consider that your migration from GP to Dynamics 365 will not be the same kind of engagement you have experienced in the past. Our service model is to provide you with remote expertise which allows us to leverage the best talent without geography being a barrier.
- Support — continuing to support you is key and Modern ERP is here with 24/7 support coverage, escalated case management and continuous improvement solutions.
You can use our BookTime™ online feature to work with our consulting team to provide you with a follow up to the Modern Self Assessment™ or any number of other services. With our online booking, you can choose from any available dates, times and services offered. Our pricing is transparent, flexible and easy to understand. We will confirm your booking automatically and provide you with a Microsoft Teams Meeting Room.